Thursday, January 5, 2017

Headed out to the Ol' Gym

This place we call home is a treasure, packed with a storied history that oftentimes fades into the dark as time rambles before our eyes. For those like me who have been raised in this valley and chose to return, occasional reminders jolt us into remembering images, situations, and people we have forgotten. In the past six months or so, I have experienced that of which I speak. Spurred by the reading of two historical compilations, Dover's Memorial Hall Hardwood 'Carnival'  (Dr. Matthew Gladman) and Whistle Stop Stories (Al Amicone), I have caught myself reminiscing about our valley's past . . . and, oh, the memories that have surfaced. Perhaps a few readers will enjoy going down that road with me as I highlight certain remembrances focusing on gyms, schools, players, and coaches.

In truth, the roots of this blog entry began ten years ago when my good friend Bob VonKaenel and I decided to list all the schools and mascots representing Ohio's Eastern District. After much discussion, mind searching, phone calls, and questions, we compiled our list of schools still existing today as well as schools from yesteryear that were swallowed up via consolidation. Together, ninety-seven schools were identified with mascots ranging from the Flying Tigers to the Spartans to the Mounties to the Ductolites! Scrolling through that list, one can easily trace the youth of so many of our older generation, of which--I guess--I am now a quasi-official member!

Come back with me to the beginning. My neighborhood had four houses, three of which had basketball hoops with dirt courts, wooden backboards, and ratty old nets. Depending on what day it was determined on whose court we would play; regardless, the games were great, the "shooting around" was a challenge with all kinds of experimental shots, and practically every time we played, the Tuscarawas County tournament would be held among us with each of the three kids (and later adding a fourth) assuming the roles of a county school. Of course, because I attended Dennison St. Mary's my first five years, my peers, who were Gnadenhutten Indians, never allowed me to enter as the Blue Waves because we were a Catholic school! Translated, we had to be a public school, so every game represented a small county school. We knew the players' names from most of the schools, so we made it as official as we could. Heated contests always ensued in our 1-1 battles, and, of course, the age-old excuse of "you fouled me" always surfaced. Did not matter--we had the time of our lives!

Dennison St. Mary's was an important spur for me. As a child, my dad would take me to various games at St. Mary's "new" gym, which I thought was gigantic at that time. It sounds strange, I know, but I still remember watching those teams come out of that locker room flashing those white warm-up jackets and pants with each player's name bouncing on the jacket's back. Like in a trance, I would watch the entire warm-up period, mesmerized by the sound of the net when a ball would be swished and the repetitive bouncing of many basketballs. When the warm-ups came off, the Blue Waves sported the coolest uniforms I have ever seen to this day. The light blue (or whites dependent on whether it was a home or away game) capped off by stars and the high socks made each player so special. Even today, I get goose pimples when I remember watching heroes like Joey Pangrazio, John Carter, Tom Crosswhite, Danny Angelozzi, Ralph Douglass, Chris Tolloty, and so many others who wore those uniforms. As stated, my appetite was wetted by the Blue Waves.

Soon, I was able to begin playing in our biddy-basketball league held on Sunday afternoons. However, before I ever played an organized game, I received the news that I had to have a jock strap; for what reason, I had no clue. Hell, I was only in second grade, so those details were not part of my thinking. Once my parents had purchased a jock strap--a gigantic one, I should add for a seven year old--I felt I was big time. Obviously, excited I was as I got to dress in the St. Mary's locker room . . . still remember it! My coach was a good man I had occasionally seen in church, Bill Dillon, who was and has remained fiercely loyal to the Catholic school athletic programs. Of course, because Mr. Dillon was my coach, he was put on my personal pedestal. Little did he know, but he captured my enthusiasm and interest because he was kind and simplistic with me. Never did he yell, but he certainly encouraged . . . I have never forgotten that, and in my mind I certainly contrast his approach with those of several I have seen working with elementary kids today. Even though I was already hooked on the game, Mr. Dillon made basketball so much fun for me. With my dyed blue t-shirt and my oversized white gym shorts, I was so proud to be on that floor . . . a feeling that, truthfully, still lingers today every time I enter a gym.

As the St. Mary's years moved on, I found myself just waiting to actually be part of that basketball program. Wearing those warm-ups and uniforms, playing before a packed house in what I later realized was actually an extremely small gym, and getting to represent my school and my church provided my motivation. In time, however, problems emerged. The omnipresent hulk of a man, Fr. Gilbert--the church's pastor, the school's principal and athletic director as well as the bus coordinator--made a decision that no busses would run to Gnadenhutten, thus thrusting the traveling to school on my parents, who simply could not economically justify providing that transportation. I clearly remember one Sunday morning after mass when my dad and Fr. Gilbert had a shouting match regarding that dilemma. When we got in the car, my dad simply stated, "You're (my sister and I)  going to Gnaden next year." (Nothing like a shouting match with the priest coming out of church!) Thus, my St. Mary's dream ended, but a new one began as I got to see the Indians play, led by Dan Jinks!

 My plans are to expand this into a few-part series, eventually ending with observations about high school basketball as it is played today. Here's hoping a few readers may be intrigued by this mini-series! 

2 comments:

  1. As always, you spark my interest and leave me wanting more! I enjoy your musings and hope they continue.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic read. I miss the hotbed of basketball that our area is. I hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete