Friday, January 8, 2016

Similarities: Jimmy Haslam /President Obama

I will begin with a profound question: Where the hell are we headed?


To answer the question, I must first define "we." For this discussion, two definitions suffice: "we" are Browns' fans and "we" are United States citizens. It strikes me that the two have a shared commonality.


Let's talk about Jimmy first; I don't trust him. Two years ago I heard him talk at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Luncheon Club (after he arrived 25 minutes late and took no questions), and I came away thinking that "if anyone can talk himself out of a federal indictment, it's he." I was right on that, by the way. His business approach and suave demeanor unnerved me; what I heard coming from his mouth did not equate with his aura . . . something about him was unnerving. Granted, I am not part of his successful Flying J business world, but my gut instincts told me he was too smooth to be true. With that said, however, I wanted to believe every word he said because I have always wanted the Browns to be winners.


As time has passed, though, my belief has sunk to its lowest depth. Point blank: I don't trust the guy. Despite what he has said, I am convinced that he bought the Browns because they were the first team available and he had the money, not because he had a vested interest in Cleveland. Like a savvy businessman, he wants results--I am glad for that, but he seems to misunderstand one of the key ingredients of athletics: loyalty. After openly stating he "would not blow things up" if  the 2015 season did not go as planned, he did just that--he "blew it up." Should we be surprised when whoever gets hired as coach and general manager faces the same dilemma of being replaced fairly quickly? Building a successful program takes time, a key point  for which Jimmy seems to have low regard. Before the season, in a blog, I observed that I hoped Jimmy would give Mike Pettine four years to build rather than going in a different direction. Obviously, it was wishful thinking on my part, but, again, I don't trust ol' Jimmy . . . and I don't think too many of us do in this part of the country. As a result of the lack of loyalty, we have lost faith; as that happens, we become cynical about everything Browns-related. My expectations are that the accompanying negativity will result in lower ticket sales and fewer merchandise purchases, of course. Of larger significance, though, is the failure to trust--when that happens, we may never recover.


Discussing politics is not a wise move in this forum because I am not wise enough or informed enough to intelligently counter many arguments; thus, because I am leery of those with extreme views, my status as an independent is comfortable to me. However, such a noticeable swing has occurred in our country based upon so many factors: lack of support for the President, Democratic/Republican opposing philosophies--pick a reason. The underlying factor, though, is a complete lack of trust in the presidency, the elected officials, and the mantra being preached to us. Obviously, the following for Donald Trump and Ben Carson reflects this mistrust because they provide a supposed option. To hear people talk, however, alarms me; no longer do many describe our president by his title. Instead, he is known as Obama or any other nickname. I have seen enough cartoons that truly go beyond satire as it is defined. Rather, it is reflective of intense personal attacks designed to belittle the office and the man. That is the sign of a deteriorating society. Restating the last sentence from my previous paragraph, "Of larger significance, though, is the failure to trust--when that happens, we may never recover."


Jimmy Haslam and Barack Obama--different in so many ways yet possessive of one key similarity: many of us in this part of the country do not trust them. Maybe what they are attempting to do will be best for us in the long run, but we are almost done giving them "the benefit of the doubt." What speaks more loudly: the actual message or the delivery of the message?


We've been burned too many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment